What is Student Support Services?
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRiO program, one of two at the University of Oregon. As a college retention program, SSS helps undergraduates meet the rigors of higher education and graduate from UO. The program is designed for students whose socioeconomic backgrounds, educational records, and personal situations suggest they may experience challenges at the UO that could be alleviated with use of resources offered by SSS.
What are the benefits of
being an SSS participant?
Academic Advising: comprehensive and ongoing assistance with course selection and graduation plans, choosing majors and careers, grad school planning and test preparation, negotiating UO systems and decreasing stress
Academic Support: workshops and courses, tutoring for many gen-ed sequences, plus writing, math and study-skills assistance
Financial Assistance: grant-aid and scholarships reserved for SSS participants, assistance completing FAFSA forms and scholarship applications, workshops focused on increasing financial literacy with session on budgets, loans and funding options
Space and Referrals: Study area with computer and printer, connections to useful resources
Mentors and Friendship!
Students qualify based on federally defined criteria:
• neither parent earned a bachelor’s degree
• family meets low-income qualifications
• student has a documented disability
Eligible students must be US citizens or permanent residents committed to using needed academic support in order to earn their bachelor’s degrees from the UO. Students who are not immediately accepted into SSS are offered other appropriate campus and community resources and connections.
For more information:
- SSS Application Form: Students currently enrolled at UO are encourage to visit our office in 68 PLC for more information on program connections. Students enrolling in the fall can expect the 2013-14 application to be posted online and available in our office by the beginning of August. To receive notification when it is ready, please email TRiOSSS@uoregon.edu
- Contact TRiOSSS@uoregon.edu or 541-346-3226
Deb Casey, Director
Carrie Stampe, Program Assistant
If needed, you can print an extra copy of the TRiO Financial Eligibility Form.
For additional information regarding services for student with disabilities, including testing and accommodations, please visit the Accessible Education Center, formerly Disability Services.
Students who are currently active in UO SSS can visit Blackboard for upcoming events and workshops, forms, resources and other information.