Student Support Services - a TRiO Program
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally funded TRiO program, one of two at the University of Oregon. As a college retention program, SSS helps undergraduates meet the rigors of higher education and graduate from UO. The program is designed for students whose socioeconomic backgrounds, educational records, and personal situations suggest they may experience challenges at the UO that could be alleviated with use of resources offered by SSS.
What are the benefits of being an SSS participant?
Academic Advising: comprehensive and ongoing assistance with course selection and graduation plans, choosing majors and careers, grad school planning and test preparation, negotiating UO systems and decreasing stress
Academic Support: workshops and courses, tutoring for many gen-ed requirements, plus writing, math and study skills assistance
Financial Assistance: Grant Aid and scholarships reserved for SSS participants, assistance completing FAFSA forms and scholarship applications, workshops focused on increasing financial literacy with session on budgets, loans and funding options
Space and Referrals: study area with computer and printer, connections to useful resources
Mentors and Friendship!
Students qualify based on federally defined criteria:
- neither parent earned a bachelor’s degree
- family meets low-income qualifications
- a documented disability, as verified by UO Accessible Education Center (for additional information regarding services for student with disabilities, including testing and accommodations, please visit the AEC.)
Each SSS participant must meet at least one of the above criteria and also be:
- a US citizen or permanent resident
- admitted and enrolled, or eligible to be enrolled, at UO in the current or next academic term
- pursuing a first bachelor’s degree
- in need of academic support
- committed to using academic support to earn a UO degree
Students who are not immediately accepted into SSS are offered other appropriate campus and community resources and connections. For more information:
- SSS Application Form
- Contact TRiOSSS@uoregon.edu or (541) 346-3226 Deb Casey, Director Carrie Stampe, Program Assistant
If needed, you can print an extra copy of the TRiO Financial Eligibility Form. Students who are currently active in UO SSS can visit Blackboard for upcoming events and workshops, forms, resources and other information.
Spaces fill quickly so apply now!
Download our application or pick one up at 68 PLC.